Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lovat Castle

Castle (Medieval), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Lovat Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Wester-lovat; Wester Lovat Farm

Canmore ID 12678

Site Number NH54NW 2

NGR NH 5393 4606

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12678

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kirkhill
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH54NW 2 5393 4606.

(NH 5393 4606) Lovat Castle {NR} (Site of)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

Lovat Castle was extant in 1230.

J Barron 1891

'The Tower and Fort of Lovat' was the seat first of the Bissets of Lovat, and later of the Frasers.

L Shaw 1882

Lovat Castle ' was finally destroyed by Oliver Cromwell who removed the stones for other building purposes.'

Name Book 1872

Lovat Castle was destroyed after 1745. Only the foundations remain. ISSFC 1888

Nothing remains of the castle. A tall ash tree in the farm steading is said to mark its site.

W R MacDonald 1902

Lovat Castle is first mentioned in the 12 century when it was held by the Bissets. It was granted to the Frasers in the 13 century, and was held by them until it was dismantled to build a new house at Beauly in 1671. In the 12 century, the outer ditch and ramparts, the tower, front wall and great gate were built (It cannot be ascertained whether these were of stone or timber). About 1500 it is noted that the castle was repaired, a draw-well built, and the orchard enlarged. In the mid 17th century., the castle walls were"made up", "St Laurence's Chapel in the E corner of the castle repaired, and a further defence comprising a deep ditch with earthen rampart was constructed around the "great wide green".

J Fraser 1905

There is now no ground evidence of a castle on a natural escarpment overlooking reclaimed mud flats, upon which farm buildings have been erected. Mr Coghill (D E Coghill, Wester Lovat) of Wester Lovat has produced a plan at 1/2500 scale showing what he believes to be the site of the castle and outer defences, but his evidence is conjectural based on occasional sections of ditches exposed during drainage operations supported by local history and an estate plan. Whilst there is no doubt that this is the site of Lovat Castle, the details shown by Coghill may be incorrect.

Visited by OS (N K B) 12 January 1971

Fragments of stonework found in drainage operations include one piece of a door- or window-jamb wrought with a broad chamfer and probably of medieval date. Cropmarks on an air photograph reveal what may be the SW side and parts of the NW and SE sides of a ditch surrounding the castle. (See NH54NW 34).

RCAHMS 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions