Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 2-20 Earl Grey Street, Methodist Central Hall

Hall (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 2-20 Earl Grey Street, Methodist Central Hall

Classification Hall (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 2 West Tollcross; Dunbar Street; War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 124598

Site Number NT27SW 950

NGR NT 24861 72987

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/124598

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Summary Record (15 February 2012)

Dunn and Findlay, 1899-1901. Opened 1901. Grand building making the most of its corner site with large second floor windows into the main hall facing onto Earl Gray Street, attractive carved details and copper coloured dome. The ground floor shops were always designed to supply a rental income. The interior houses high quality period details in the use of tiles, stained glass and copper door furniture. The balcony level was partitioned in 1936 by Maclennan and Cunningham.

Following the merger of a number of Methodist congregations in the city, the Methodist Central Hall was sold to the Morningside Baptist Church in 2011.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 950 24861 72987

Central Hall [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (2 August 1999)

A band of small, roughly square carvings in high relief: acanthus leaf forms interspersed with grapes, fig?, plums, thistle, acorns, flower, apples, rose, currants?, nuts, berries?, apple, fish, pineapple, pears?, berries, thistle.

A band of serpentine horizontal acanthus leaves with trees (horizontal) with entwined roots (at centre) above corner doorway.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1899 - 1901

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0149)

Photographic Survey (April 2010)

Photographed by theThreatened Buildings Survey prior to sale.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2011.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions