Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 82 George Square, City Chambers

Municipal Building (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 82 George Square, City Chambers

Classification Municipal Building (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 249-285 George Street; 35-55 John Street; Cochrane Street; War Memorials

Canmore ID 120100

Site Number NS56NE 212

NGR NS 59360 65376

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120100

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Treasured Places

In 1888 Queen Victoria formally opened Glasgow City Chambers. Designed by William Young, the building reflected the wealth and status of the city. The exterior design demonstrates Italian influences and incorporates a variety of decorative sculpture including figures representing Prosperity, Art, Science and Commerce, as well as a statue of Queen Victoria. The interior decoration is opulent and of particular note are the public rooms and multi-coloured marble staircases.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 9 August 2007

Williamson, E, Riches, A and Higgs, M 1990

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 212.00 59360 65376

NS56NE 212.01 59448 65351 30-50 John Street (City Chambers Extension)

NS56NE 212.02 59434 65380 North Screen Archway

NS56NE 212.03 59423 65333 South Screen Archway

Architect: William Young, 1887.

Banqueting Hall

Architect: William Leiper

REFERENCE:

Courtauld Institute Sculpture Neg Collection

City Chambers exterior: reliefs

spandrels

tympanum

cornice figures

putti on North tower

figures on central tower

See also : Maclure, Macdonald & Co.: 'The City Chambers, Glasgow', 1890? purchased by NLS in June 2002. This is a large folio presentation album containing photographs of Glasgow's City Chambers, shortly after completion in 1889. This item is different from 'The Municipal Buildings, Glasgow', published by David Bryce and Son, in 1890 (copy held in NMRS Library) in that 'The City Chambers, Glasgow' contains 30 actual photographs by Maclure, Macdonald and Co. whereas 'The Municipal Buildings' features 20 collotype illustrations by Bedford Lemere and Co. Although 17 of the images have concordances in 'The Municipal Buildings', this item features 11 new photographs and 2 slightly later exposures.

Activities

Unexecuted (1870)

Unexecuted (1880)

Construction (1 January 1882 - 31 December 1890)

Design (15 September 1882 - 11 November 1882)

Photographic Record (1890)

Photographs of Glasgow City Chambers taken by Bedford Lemere.

Photographic Survey (1 February 1965 - 28 February 1965)

Photographic Survey (1 April 1987 - 30 April 1987)

Aerial Photography (31 August 1998)

Photographic Survey (6 March 2002)

Aerial Photography (22 July 2005)

Aerial Photography (27 October 2005)

Aerial Photography (31 May 2006)

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions