Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, 19 - 20 Princes Street

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 19 - 20 Princes Street

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) West Register Street Lane; Royal British Hotel

Canmore ID 115081

Site Number NT27SE 1089

NGR NT 25742 73999

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115081

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

17 - 19 Princes Street - Architect: George Beattie 1864

20 Princes Street, Royal British Hotel - Architect: J Macintyre Henry - 1896-1898

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1807 January-May 19.3.1807

Pet of William Don and Francis Wilson WS

No 20 Princes St, west corner of St David's St

Plans - first floor, basement

Elevations to Princes St and St David's St

NMRS REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh adds

Attic 2, Bin 11, Bag 3 1896

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh adds & new front

Attic 2, Bin 11, Bag 3 7 South Charlotte Street 1904

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alts

Attic 2, Bin 11, Bag 3 J R McKay 1936-8

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (6 September 2001)

Above first floor window on left of building: pair of putti, holding a garland of fruit and drapery, flanking a shield in which is a lion rampant, gilded.

Above each of two bay windows, first floor, three decorative cartouches, the centre of each containing gilded entwined letters RB. Below each cartouche is a garland of flowers.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : RB (entwined) in each cartouche (x6) above bay windows.

1897 (entwined) on keystone below cartouche with putti.

Signatures : None

Design period : 1896 - 1898

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0949)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions