Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cardross, St Peter's College

College (20th Century)

Site Name Cardross, St Peter's College

Classification College (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) (Incorporating) Kilmahew House; Kilmahew Estate; Cardross Seminary

Canmore ID 113509

Site Number NS37NE 29

NGR NS 35304 78404

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113509

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Cardross (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Architecture Notes

Architects: Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, 1966

Plans in possession of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow Diocesan Office, Clyde Street, Glasgow, Drawings Collection:

CP97 Site Plan, Pen and Ink, Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1960

CP176/1 South Elevation. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/2 East (Approach) Elevation. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/3 Lower Ground Floor Plan. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/4 Title of Set of Drawings. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/5 Upper Ground Floor Plan. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/6 Plan of First Floor Classroom. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/7 First Floor Plan. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/8 Second Floor Plan. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/9 Third Floor Plan. Dyeline copy. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959

CP176/10 Details of Typical Bedroom. Isometric Elevation looking towards bed. Elevation looking towards basin. Elevation looking towards Window. Elevation looking towards Door. Dyeline. Scale 1/2. Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959.

CP176/11 Section. Dyeline. Scale 1/4". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959.

CP176/12 Section AA. Dyeline. Scale 1/4". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959.

CP176/13 Section. Dyeline. Scale 1/16". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959.

CP176/14 Section CC. Dyeline. Scale 1/4". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959.

CP176/15 Longitudinal Section. Dyeline. Scale 1/8". Gillespie, Kidd & Coia 1959.

(Undated) information in RCAHMS.

See also:

NS37NE 29.01 Kilmahew House

NS37NE 29.02 Kilmahew House, South Lodge and gatepiers

NS37NE 29.03 Lodge

Site Management (20 February 1990)

Seminary buildings, originally linked to Kilmahew House (now demolished) consisting of a large main block, 4-storey over a partly raised basement accommodating chapel, refectory and study bedrooms; 2-storey over raised basement, lecture theatre/library block joined at right angles to main block; single storey kitchen wing (now partly demolished) linking the main block to Kilmahew House; 2-storey convent wing formerly adjoined to Kilmahew House to N. Concrete slab and column construction, brown pebble facings to precast concrete slab cladding; interior of main block with non-structural vaulted ceiling of metal lath and plaster.

St Peter's seminary was commissioned in 1958 by the Archbishop of Glasgow. Now redundant it has been systematically vandalised and is now reduced to a ruinous skeleton.

Designed by innovative architects, Metzstein and McMillan (who ran the Gillespie, Kidd and Coia architectural practice after the war (overseen by Jack Coia) it is hailed as one of the finest modern buildings of the day and was recognised as such when it was awarded the prestigious RIBA Architecture award in 1967.

Influenced by the architecture of Le Corbusier and in particular his monastery of La Tourette, they took the traditional monastic plan and reshaped it to form a totally modern idiom in terms of planning, of interrelated spaces which are expressed on the exterior by the change of form and materials and with technical virtuousity they achieved a complex of buildings of amazing effects and sculptural quality. Kilmahew House was demolished in 1995 following fire damage. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

Rhetorical culmination of the romantic, 'form-giving' tendency in Scottish Modernism, and of the sectional planning formula for educational institutions developed by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia. A seminary for training of a hundred student priests, set on an abrupt wooded bluff, adjacent to an exisiting Baronial house by John Burnet Senior. On the outside, studiedly rough concrete surfaces, block geometry, and dramatic cantilevering over the trees; inside, spectacularly flowing spaces intended to express the unity of the community's activities, through the enfolding of chapel and refectory by stepped ranges of study bedrooms. Following several years of dereliction and vandalism, the College is now stripped to a tree-enveloped skeleton. In 1993, at the request of DOCOMOMO's Scottish working-party, Historic Scotland raise the college's list status to Category 'A' (Fig. 4.42).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75', (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions