Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Insch Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Insch Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Insch Station, Waiting Room And Footbridge

Canmore ID 112803

Site Number NJ62NW 57

NGR NJ 62951 27613

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112803

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Premnay
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Insch Station, 1854, Great North of Scotland Railway. Two-platform through station with, on up platform, a low stuccoed conceit, dated 1880, with two narrow wings to rear (U-plan), and a heavily consoled doorpiece flanked by triple windows with wooden mullions and transoms; prominent skewputs. Wooden signal box at level-crossing and good wooden footbridge.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ62NW 57.00 62951 27613

For adjacent Station Hotel, see NJ62NW 118.

Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.

(Location cited as NJ 630 276). Opened 1854 by the Great North of Scotland Rly). A 2-platform through station with the main offices on the up platform in a single-storey rubble building, part harled, on a U-plan, with an ornamental gabled platform entrance, dated 1889. The down platform has a neat wooden shelter, and the platforms are linked by a wooden footbridge of standard GNoSR pattern.

J R Hume 1977.

Insch Station, 1854, Great North of Scotland Rly. Two-platform through station with, on up platform, a low stuccoed conceit, dated 1880, with two narrow wings to rear (U-plan) and a heavily consoled doorpiece flanked by triple windows with wooden mullions and transoms; prominent skewputs.

Wooden signal box at level crossing, and good wooden footbridge.

I Shepherd 1994.

This intermediate station on the Aberdeen-Inverness main line of the Great North of Scotland Rly. (subsequently grouped into the London and North-Eastern Rly.) was opened on 20 September 1854, and remains in use for regular passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 January 1997.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions