Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Dunans Bridge

Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Dunans Bridge

Classification Bridge (19th Century)

Canmore ID 109038

Site Number NS09SW 16

NGR NS 04048 91254

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/109038

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmodan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Site Management (12 November 2008)

Bridge. Wide pointed arch flanked by narrower ones. Random rubble. Saddle-back coping. Polygonal buttresses. Insets with monogram and date over central arch. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Field Visit (June 1988)

This bridge spanning the gorge of the River Ruel carries the access-road from the A886 highway to Dunans House, home of the Fletcher family since the 18th century. The house itself was rebuilt in baronial style c.l880 (en.1*), but the bridge bears the date 1815 and the initials of John Fletcher (d.l822).

The bridge, which is built of local schist rubble with a sandstone coping, is 16.3m in overall height, and the level roadway is 28m in length and 5.4m in width within 0.5m parapets. It comprises three tall two-centred arches, the middle one spanning the river and the others carrying the approaches above the steep banks of the gorge. The central arch, which has centering-sockets below springing-level, is7.85m in span and 13.3m in height, and the side-arches are3.7m in span. All three arches spring from octagonal abutment-piers, decorated with blind slits, which project into the roadway. The arch-springings are marked by projecting impost-bands, returned along the arch-soffits, and similar bands mark the bases of the parapets. On each side the parapet is stepped up at the centre to enclose a sandstone panel bearing the initials JF, and in the N panel the date 1815, and below these panels there are drain-spouts, that to the Sin the form of a human gargoyle, while the other arches have corresponding spouts. A winding path downstream on the W bank gives a view of the bridge, which was improved by two artificial cascades.

RCAHMS 1992, visited June 1988

Publication Account (1990)

Remarkable Gothic three-arched bridge, 16m high (probably highest in Argyll), built 1815 to carry private road to Fletcher of Dunan's mansion above River Ruel.

(Not visable from road)

Information from ‘RCAHMS Excursion guide 1990: Commissioners' field excursion, Argyll, 7-9 May 1990’.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions