Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eigg, Cleadale

Croft(S) (19th Century), Cultivation Remains, Field System, Township (Post Medieval)

Site Name Eigg, Cleadale

Classification Croft(S) (19th Century), Cultivation Remains, Field System, Township (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Isle Of Eigg, Cleadale Township

Canmore ID 106157

Site Number NM48NE 31

NGR NM 477 888

NGR Description Centred on NM 477 888

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106157

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Cleadale Crofting hamlet beneath the fretted heights of Sgorr an Fharaidh, one of the island's three townships in 1806 and the first to be divided up (in 1810) into small enclosed lots as an incentive for those whose labours were essential to the profitable business of harvesting kelp. Only Croft No 6 retains its traditional roundcornered 19th-century dwelling, modernised early 20th century when most thatched roofs on the island were replaced with red tin. In 1913 , five identical improved houses were built at the new township of Cuagach for crofters removed from Galmisdale. Each had a slate roof, cast-iron range, panelling and two upstairs bedrooms (the old houses became their byres).

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM48NE 31.00 centred on 477 888

NM48NE 31.01 NM 4775 8854 Farm

NM48NE 31.02 NM 4780 8880 Farm

NM48NE 31.03 NM 4780 8913 Longhouse

NM48NE 31.04 NM 47811 88794 Croft House (HBM Listed)

NM48NE 31.05 NM 4781 8897 House

A crofting township, comprising sixty roofed buildings, one partially roofed building and seven unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire & Inverness-shire, Islands of Rum & Eigg 1879, sheet lxxi). Sixteen roofed buildings, one partially roofed building and thirteen unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 9 December 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions