Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lerwick, 20 Commercial Street, The Lodberry

Cottage (Period Unassigned), Crane (Period Unassigned), Pier (Period Unassigned), Storehouse(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lerwick, 20 Commercial Street, The Lodberry

Classification Cottage (Period Unassigned), Crane (Period Unassigned), Pier (Period Unassigned), Storehouse(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lerwick Harbour; Lodberrie

Canmore ID 1054

Site Number HU44SE 22

NGR HU 47894 41244

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1054

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Lerwick
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU44SE 22 47894 41244

NLO: Lerwick [name: HU 475 415].

(Location cited as HU 479 413). The Lodberrie, Lerwick, late 18th or early 19th centuries. An attractive compact group of dwelling houses and stores on a pier projecting into the harbour. There is a sea-door with a wall crane, on the sea-front; cf. Stromness, Orkney.

J R Hume 1977.

The ill-defined area of Lerwick Harbour (HU44SE 32: centred HU 47722 41345) essentially forms an extensive roadstead which comprises the waters of Bressay Sound between the narrow Northern entrance (around HU 475 445) and the broader Southern entrance (around HU 483 400). The main facilities are to be found around HU 477 414, on the W side of the Sound; recent development extends Northwards from this point.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 October 2007.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Thomas Moncrieff, Esq.

Site Management (16 March 2009)

Picturesquely grouped house and stores built on lodberry, comprising single storey over concealed basement 3-bay range (former shop) to commercial street with 2-storey 3-bay house connected at right-angle to rear (N); 2-storey range (former sail loft and dry goods store at upper floor) with store and workshop at basement bounding W extent of complex, small flagged courtyard centred at N end of lodberry, 2-storey store (former wet fish store with meat and fishcuring "skeo" at upper floor) to NE corner. Harl-pointed random rubble walls.

Formerly known as Robertson's Lodberry, it was named after Bailie John Robertson who was joint agent with Charles Merrylees for the North of Scotland and Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Company, who owned the neighbouring "steamer" storehouse at 18 Commercial Street .

Although the (then ruinous) former shop to Commercial Street was rebuilt circa 1950 and there have been some minor changes to the fenestration, this complex remains a remarkably intact example of the commercial and domestic development of a lodberry. It is, however, most famous for the picturesque quality of the grouping, and as such is the most photographed building in Shetland. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions