Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balquhidder Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Balquhidder Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Balquhidder Junction Station; Lochearnhead Station; Railway Station;

Canmore ID 103361

Site Number NN52SE 28

NGR NN 5710 2079

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/103361

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Balquhidder
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN52SE 28 5710 2079

(Name cited as Balquhidder Junction Station). The permanent way was in position as far as this station by the summer of 1868 when a coal depot was set up on the site. The station was opened as a single platform named Lochearnhead, but was renamed Balquhidder Junction in 1905 when it became a junction station and the new Lochearnhead Station (NN52SE 29) was opened. Balquhidder Station was then reconstructed with three platform-faces, two of them being on either side of an island-platform which was reached by an underpass and stairways from the main road. A water tower and two signal boxes were provided, but the two latter buildings were demolished after the branch closed in 1951. The station remained an unstaffed halt until it closed in 1965; the blocked underpass entry from the road is all that can now be seen.

C E J Fryer 1989.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow-Crianlarich-Oban line of the former Caledonian Rly was also the junction station for that company's branch to Crieff and Comrie. It was opened (as Lochearnhead Station) by the Callander and Oban Rly on 1 June 1870, was renamed Balquhidder Station on 1 May 1904 and is said (by Butt) to have closed on 1 May 1905, being replaced by a second station of the same name which closed to regular passenger traffic on 28 September 1965. [Butt cites no corroborative evidence for the existence or location of two successive seperate stations and is presumably referring to the rebuilding].

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 18 June 1998.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NN52SE 28 572 209

Originally called Lochearnhead Station, please see archaeology notes

Balquidder station: Line closed and dismantled.

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 1965.

Information from NMRS MS/749/123.

Opened 1.6.1870 and was a junction with the Loch Earn branch from 1863 to 1.10.1951. Closed 27.9.1965. Information taken from Rokeby collection, photograph mount.

Activities

External Reference (23 June 2014)

NN52SE 28 5710 2079

The permanent way of the Callander and Oban Railway was in position as far as this location by the summer of 1868 when a coal depot was set up on the site. A public station was opened here upon the opening of the line in 1870, as a single platform named Lochearnhead. When the Caledonian line from St Fillans reached the head of Loch Earn in 1904 a new station on that line was opened named Lochearnhead (NN52SE 29) and the original C&O Lochearnhead station renamed Balquhidder. The renaming and the station itself were short lived, as in 1905 the Caledonian line was extended to join the C&O making a junction just to the south of Balquhidder station and a new station was built there, taking the name of Balquhidder. The new station had three platform faces, two of them being on either side of an island platform which was reached by an underpass and stairways from the main road. A water tower and two signal boxes were provided, but the two latter buildings were demolished after the branch to Comrie closed in 1951. The station remained an unstaffed halt until it closed in 1965; the blocked underpass entry from the road is all that can now be seen.

Based on C E J Fryer 1989; M.H.Cobb, The Railways of Great Britain, A Historical Atlas, Ian Allan, second ed. 2006.

It was opened (as Lochearnhead Station) by the Callander and Oban Rly on 1 June 1870, was renamed Balquhidder Station on 1 May 1904 and Butt says it closed on 1 May 1905, being replaced by a second station of the same name which closed to regular passenger traffic on 28 September 1965.

R V J Butt 1995.

Information via email from Brian Malaws, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW), to RCAHMS (MMD), 23 June 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions