Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Uist, Loch Scolpaig, Dun Scolpaig

Dun (Period Unassigned), Tower (Period Unassigned)

Site Name North Uist, Loch Scolpaig, Dun Scolpaig

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned), Tower (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tower; Folly

Canmore ID 10072

Site Number NF77NW 6

NGR NF 73103 75028

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10072

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish North Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Loch Scolpaig Folly, 1830s Octagonal tower crowning a small islet, built on the site of the Iron Age broch of Dun Scolpaig by Dr Alexander Macleod (an Dotair Ban), who drained the loch.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NF77NW 6 73103 75028.

(NF 7310 7503) Dun Scolpaig (NR) Tower.

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed, (1904)

'Dun Scolpaig has now entirely disappeared, its site being occupied by a small octagonal tower surrounded by a low wall at the water's edge. Both of these constructions are of modern origin, being constructed of stones from the fort itself; having been erected by Dr Alexander Macleod about the year 1830'.

E Beveridge 1911.

The site is as described by Beveridge

Visited by OS (J T T) 19 June 1965.

NF 7310 7503 A desk-based survey and non-invasive assessment was made of the site (NMRS NF77NW 6), in association with Simpson & Brown Architects, including a survey of the island and the approach, both of which were heavily landscaped. Probable site of crannog - no remains identified.

Sponsor: Southern Isles Amenity Trust.

T Addyman 2000

Activities

Conservation (18 June 2008 - 21 June 2008)

NF 7310 7502 A survey of the causeway was carried out 18–21 June 2008 for Access Archaeology as part of a wider project, supported by Archaeology Scotland’s Adopt-a-Monument scheme, to conserve the tower and make the site accessible as a visitor attraction.

Scolpaig Tower is a 19th-century folly situated on a small islet within Loch Scolpaig, Uist. It is likely that the folly overlies the remains of an earlier historic and/or later prehistoric dun. A 1:20 plan, a photographic record and a detailed description of the remains were produced prior to restoration work.

The survey confirmed that the remains of two short sections of a stone causeway (c18m and 8m) connect the islet in Loch Scolpaig to the shore via a small rocky outcrop covered with dense vegetation. The remains of the causeway were insubstantial and had been heavily eroded. The causeway consisted of some blocks of unworked stone, the largest 0.8 x 0.8m, which were visible above the current water line. Below water the causeway was constructed of loosely packed smaller stones (c0.2 x 0.2m), possibly sitting above a layer of

gravel. Only one area of the causeway formed a continuous and compact surface. There was no firm evidence of multiple construction phases. No finds were recovered.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended). Report: local authority Archaeological Officer (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

Rebecca Rennell (Access Archaeology), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions