Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Architecture Notes

Event ID 737410

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/737410

(NT 1285 6881) Hatton House (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Burnt out (1952) and demolished (1955).

ARCHITECT:

Robert Rowand Anderson - restoration (1870s)

Hatton House: The present mansion is a plain, rectangular structure of the later 17th century, round a 15th century L-shaped tower.

The 17th century additions were made by Charles Maitland; and a wrought iron vane bears the monogram of himself and his wife, whom he married in 1652. The tower may, in part, represent 'the tower of Haltone' which was besieged in 1453. There is said to have been a royal licence in 1515 to William de Lauder to fortify or re-edify his house at Halton (J R Findlay (1875).

On the main approach from the Glasgow road is a Renaissance gateway bearing the date 1692. It was moved to this position in 1829 from its original site, farther east, at the entrance to the mile-long avenue which led westwards in a straight line, and terminated in the forecourt of the house.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 24 July 1913

Hatton House has recently been demolished except for 20th century wing not shown on the RCAHMS plan. All that remains of the 17th century building is a fragment of the west wall where it joins the modern building and four courses of the south wall.

The garden wall and the two square towers which were part of the 17th century complex still remain. The Renaissance gateway is at NT 1280 6844. Nothing remains of the 15th century tower.

Visited by OS (JTT) 19 August 1965

NMRS REFERENCE:

Engraved view of Hatton House, Midlothian

Insc: 'Old Argyle House'

Unsigned, not dated Acc. no.1993/89

REFERENCE:

Hatton House was bought by Captain William Davidson (also of Muirhouse, see NT27NW 18) in 1796 for £21,300 and was sold in 1870 for £42, 000 to the Earl of Horton.

See The Davidson's of Muirhouse Album in RCAHMS Print Room for written description of the Hatton Estate.

See also:

NT16NW 5.01 12864 68748 Bath House

NT16NW 5.02 12710 68752 Temple

NT16NW 5.03 12830 68768 Terrace and Fountain

NT16NW 5.04 128 688 Garden; sundials

NT16NW 5.05 12799 68444 Entrance Gates

NT16NW 5.05 12822 68735 West Pavilion

NT16NW 5.06 12920 68760 East Pavilion

NT16NW 28 13908 68970 East Gates

People and Organisations

References