Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 714429

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/714429

NT44SE 3 46135 41717.

(NT 4613 4171) Bow Castle (NAT) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1970)

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes ' Bow Castle' as ' The remains of a fortification on Bow Hill. Composed of some scattered stones and earth, the date of its erection or destruction it quite unknown to the inhabitants of the District'.

Name Book 1854

Bow Castle: This broch stands on level ground on the brink of a steep descent SW to the valley of the Gala Water. The ruin of its wall is surmounted by a tall modern cairn built out of the debris. The broch was originally formed by a wall 15ft thick, enclosing an area 31ft in diameter, with the entrance in the NE. It was excavated in 1890 when pottery, including some 2nd century Roman amphora fragments, were found, and in 1922 a 2nd century Roman enamelled bronze brooch in the form of a cock was found among the ruins of the wall. This, and other small finds, are in the NMAS.

R W Feachem 1963; J Curle 1892; 1932; A S Robertson 1970; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915

The rubble remains of this broch occupy the summit of a hill. Its wall, 4.5m thick and 0.5m maximum height, encloses a 10.0m diameter court, with an entrance in the E. It has a small modern cairn on its W side.

On the gentle slope E of the broch are the slight remains of walls and the occasional scooped area.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (EGC) 20 January 1965

People and Organisations

References