Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 711344

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/711344

NT18SE 5.00 16038 82864

(NT 1599 8291) Donibristle (NR) (site of)

(NT 1600 8286) Donibristle (NAT)

OS 6" map, Fife (1967).

NT18SE 5.01 NT 160 828 Garden

NT18SE 5.02 NT 1680 8406 Dalgety House Dovecot

NT18SE 5.03 NT 16222 83006 Stables (Hopeward Court)

NT18SE 5.04 NT 15825 82784 Chapel and Family Vaults

NT18SE 5.05 Centred NT 159 829 Grounds

NT18SE 5.06 NT 15635 83075 Ice-house

NT18SE 5.07 NT 15359 83748 (NT 15379 83748 to NT 14838 85594) Estate Boundary Wall and Fordell Railway

Location formerly entered as NT 16007 82863 (West Wing) and NT 16053 82888 (East Wing).

Donibristle: The first castle on this site, on the lawn N of the present remains, was destroyed by fire in 1592. Its successor, also burnt, was replaced by a house built around 1720 for the Earl of Moray. This house was burned in 1858 and only the two front service wings, still inhabited, survive, with a connecting subterranean passage.

A H Millar 1895; F W Simon 1905; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928.

This building is now the residence of the Superintendent of the Royal Naval Aircraft Yard, Donibristle. The two service wings, passage and ironwork are still extant and in good condition.

Visited by OS (AC) 11 March 1959.

This building remains as described in the previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS), 18 December 1975.

People and Organisations

References