Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 699488

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NS32SE 8.00 38773 23468

(NS 3879 2345) Auchincruive House was completed in 1767. A west wing was added, and other alterations made, in the 19th century, probably about 1830. It was built on the site of an earlier mansion.

The estate of Auchincruive was owned successively by the Wallaces (-1374), the Cathcarts (-1758), a Mr James Murray (-1764) and the Oswalds (-1925). Since 1927 it has belonged to the West of Scotland Agricultural College. A house is not specifically mentioned until 1532. It is again on record. in 1541, when the house was described as a 'castell', but there is reason to doubt the aptness of this title; Pont gave it no such prominence on his map of the area.

J Kirkwood 1954

Now named 'Oswald's Hall, this mansion forms part of the West of Scotland Agricultural College. Externally, it is not outstanding. A gutter drain bears the date '1767'.

Visited by OS (JRL) 4 November 1980

A tower-house, on record in 1532, is said to have stood on the site n ow occupied by the 18th century mansion at Auchincruive (now the West of Scotland Agricultural College). In 1758 it was described as a 'Tower Fortalice Manor Place' and was the property of the Cathcarts.

W Macfarlane 1906-8; J Kirkwood 1954; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) September 1985.

People and Organisations