Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 696470

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/696470

NR77NW 1.00 71235 78829

NR77NW 1.01 7123 7883 Carved Stone Ball; Flint Arrowhead

NR77NW 1.02 7123 7882 Platforms; Kilns; Building

For industrial remains (including kilns and platforms) towards SE corner of curtain-wall enclosure, see NR77NW 1.02.

(NR 7123 7883) Castle Sween (NR)

Macmillan's Tower (NR) Well (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1924)

Castle Sween, now ruinous, was probably built in the mid-12th century (S Piggott and W D Simpson 1970). The main structure, a quadrangular enclosing wall, 6'-7' thick, measuring 84' x 70' over all, against the inner face of which three main ranges of timber buildings were originally disposed round a small court, is Norman in appearance. The annexe to the W and its round tower - Macmillan's Tower - were probably added in the early 14th century, while the rectangular keep was probably added to the NE corner in the 16th century. There is also a well, doubtless original, in the NE angle of the courtyard.

The castle was beseiged by Robert the Bruce, and was finally destroyed by Sir Alexander Macdonald in 1647.

S Piggott and W D Simpson 1970; W D Simpson 1967; J G Dunbar 1966.

The castle is as described and planned.

Visited by OS (DWR) 6 June 1973

No change to the report of OS (DWR).

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (BS) 25 January 1977

People and Organisations

References