Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 685283

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/685283

NO22SW 1.00 24195 24605

NO22SW 1.01 24142 24670 Stables

NO22SW 1.02 24146 24653 Dovecot

NO22SW 1.03 24183 24719 Walled Garden with Sundial

NO22SW 1.04 24143 24693 Kennels

NO22SW 1.05 24120 24746 Cottage

NO22SW 1.06 23481 24936 North Lodges

NO22SW 1.07 23713 24495 Gothic Arch

NO22SW 1.08 2311 2446 Cottage

NO22SW 1.09 2384 2425 Farmsteading; Aviary

NO22SW 1.10 23993 24462 Chapel and Burial-ground; Sundial

NO22SW 1.11 2415 2455 Garden; Sundials

NO22SW 1.12 24076 24721 Ice-house

NO22SW 1.13 23896 24594 West Lodge

See also:

NO22SE 27 2525 2449 Megginch Castle, East Lodge

For chapel (200m to WSW), see NO22SW 9.

(NO 2418 2460) Megginch Castle (GT)

OS 6" map (1959)

Megginch Castle underwent alterations at the begining of this century, which changed it from a sixteenth to a nineteenth century building, The north front, however, still presents externally some striking features of the sixteenth century mansion-house. Over one of the windows is the inscription "Petrus Hay, Aedificium Exstruxit An: 1575."

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

Megginch was known as 'Sanct-Martines' in the early 17th century.

J M MacKinlay 1904

Megginch Castle is a 16th century centre portion, probably 'L' shaped, with later 19th century additions on the south and NE sides. The 19th century addition on the south bears an armorial panel with the date 1820. The inscribed stone is now badly weathered, only the date 1575 being clear. On the north side of the castle, the 16th century styling is evident in two small wing turrets with a cap-house in between.

An ornate dovecot in the steading at NO 2414 2465 (NO22SW 9) is probably modern.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 10 June 1964

Megginch Castle is a fortified house of late 16th-century date which has been subsequently enlarged and remodelled on several occasions. It consists of a main block of three principal storeys with, at ground-floor level, a kitchen and two cellars (both vaulted), and, at first-floor level, a hall and chamber. A wing containing a scale-and-plait stair is stepped out from the SW angle of the block (the entrance set in the SE re-entrant angle), while a newel-service-stair, facilitating access both probably from outside and the kitchen, is incorporated in a semicircular tower, which is extruded from the N wall of the block and corbelled square at the wall-head to accommodate a caphouse; rounds are provided at the NW and NE angles of the block.

Over a third-floor window at the E end of the S wall there is a weathered lintel which is said to have been inscribed PETRVS HAY AEDIFICIVM EXSTRVXIT AN: 1575.

A lecturn dial-head bearing the monogram initials of Peter Hay and Mary Scrimgeour, his wife (married 1627), is set in an hororary to the W of the house; a perpendicular dial is in re-use in the walled garden (NO22SW 1.03).

In 1491/2 Megginch was the property of the Hays of Leys. Peter Hay of Megginch, Chamberlain of the monastery of Scone, inherited the estate in 1565. In 1664 the estate was sold to the Drummonds.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) August 1989.

J B Paul 1906; J B Paul 1908; Reg Mag Sig.

People and Organisations

References