Archaeology Notes
Date - 1968
Event ID 667447
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Archaeology Notes
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/667447
NJ51SE 1 5608 1104 and 5611 1105
(NJ 5610 1106) Standing Stone (NR)
OS 6" map, (1959)
The OS map shows five stones arranged in a rude oval. All that now remains of this stone circle is one tallish monolith in situ, set with its long axis E-W on a flattish piece of ground, having on its W and N a rather deep natural crescentic hollow.
Eighty four feet E from this stone and within the paling which bounds the edge of a quarry are several large stones, the largest and nearest of which has on its smooth upper surface, ten marks (sixteen according to Ritchie) (1918) shewing slight tool markings. This stone lay for years against the monolith but was removed to its present position for preservation (Coles 1902). One side of it shows marks of a recent fracture. Close to the broken edge are a number of faint lines, possibly and Ogham inscription, but they are too incomplete and indistinct to allow satisfactory interpretation (Ritchie 1918).
There is a stone outside the circle to the SW which can only possibly
be explained as an outlier (Keiller 1934).
(F R Coles 1902; J Ritchie 1918; A Keiller 1934).
The remaining stone, situated as described, is c.1.4m high, c.1.0m broad, c.0.5m thick. No trace could be found of the stone to the SW, and Keiller (1934) may be referring to outcrop rock which occurs hereabouts. The cup marked stone has 16 cups. The only other marks on the stone appear to be weathering.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (RL) 17 September 1968.