Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 659756

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/659756

NG61NW 6 619 164.

NG 619 164 Boreraig: cleared by Lord MacDonald in 1852, (Nicolson 1930) - still partly occupied in 1901, (OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., 1903) but totally deserted by 1954-5 (OS 1"map, 7th series)

A Nicolson 1930.

The depopulated township of Beoreraig is situated on grassy slopes which rise gently from the shore on the N side of Loch Eishort; it comprises about 12 houses and some 15 outbuildings of a typical improvements township. Within its bounds are two later buildings, mortar bonded, which were occupied in 1901, and are probably the shepherd's house which superseded it.

Visited by OS (C F W) 23 June 1961.

A township, comprising five roofed buildings, one partially roofed building and eighteen unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1881, sheet li). A crofting township of thirty-four unroofed buildings is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1988).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 November 1996.

People and Organisations

References