Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 19 May 2009

Event ID 577835

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


This stone circle, which stands within the remains of a small beech plantation 130m SE of St Colmac Cottages, comprises eight stones on an internal diameter of about 13m, with an outlying stone (1.7m high) immediately to the S. Of the stones in the ring, four of them are erect, ranging in height from 0.55m to 2.4m, and three survive only as stumps. The circle is enclosed within a plantation bank measuring about 33m in internal diameter; only two trees now grow within it.

There is compelling evidence that a second stone circle stood 25 yards to the W and was 'blown with powder' in the first decade of the 19th century (Aiton 1816, 118-9; RHP14262).

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG, PM) 19 May 2009.

People and Organisations

Digital Images