Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

View from south of Churchyard and Old Church Tower

F 4159/22

Description View from south of Churchyard and Old Church Tower

Date 9/1960

Collection Records of the Scottish National Buildings Record, Edinburgh, Scotland

Catalogue Number F 4159/22

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 377547

Scope and Content Tower and graveyard of St Michael of Tarvit's Parish Church, Kirkgate, Cupar, Fife St Michael of Tarvit Parish Church was founded in 1415 towards the end of the Great Schism. It was in a poor state in 1785 when everything except the tower and part of the north aisle was replaced by a new block designed and built by Hay Bell. The medieval tower, built 1415, ends at the single belfry window. The upper part, with double windows, parapet and spire, dates from 1620. The graveyard contains 17th-century tombs. During the Great Schism (1378-1417) Catholic Europe was divided between the competing claims of two popes. The Scots recognised the pro-French Pope in Avignon, probably because their enemies, the English, supported the Pope based in Rome. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/93769

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions