Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of area around St Columba's Graveyard and A'Chill.

SC 875171

Description Oblique aerial view of area around St Columba's Graveyard and A'Chill.

Date 2/9/1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 875171

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 40397 CN

Scope and Content Site St Columba's Church at A'Chill, Canna, Highland The site of the medieval parish church of St Columba at A'Chill is located in the centre of a natural amphitheatre near Canna harbour. The church and associated burial ground once lay at the centre of the township of Keill but all that survives today is a freestanding sculptured stone cross. This view shows the site of St Columba's Church at A'Chill (upper left), marked only by the surviving cross. The natural amphitheatre formed by the rocky outcrop can clearly be seen. A later 19th century graveyard is located nearby against the face of a rocky knoll (centre). The Church is mentioned by Archdeacon Monro in 1549 but was already in ruins when noted by Pennant in 1772. The buildings and enclosures of the township of Keill appear on an estate map of 1805. It was cleared of tenants in 1851 and destroyed together with the chapel and burial ground. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/875171

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions