Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of interior Digital image of O 653

SC 793807

Description General view of interior Digital image of O 653

Date c. 1960

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 793807

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of O 653

Scope and Content Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands This is a view towards the south end of the hall in the Bishop's Palace on the first floor. It is likely this image was taken before the monument came under state care in 1921, as there is another floor below this level which had yet to be excavated. The south end of the palace was an extension added by Earl Patrick Stewart in 1600. Originally it consisted of an arcaded loggia with two storeys of rooms above, but the arcade was later built up and converted into an ordinary room. The Bishop's Palace is the oldest surviving example of domestic architecture in Kirkwall. It was begun in the 12th century, but was in ruins by 1320. It was reconstructed between 1541 and 1558. Alterations were made in 1600, but after 1614 it is likely the building was left to become a ruin. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Box 59/6

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/793807

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions