Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of interior Digital image of O 652

SC 793806

Description General view of interior Digital image of O 652

Date c. 1960

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 793806

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of O 652

Scope and Content Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands This is the interior of the Bishop's Palace, also known as 'Place o' the Yards', looking to the north. This part of the building was renovated in 1550 and again in 1600, when it became part of the home of Earl Patrick Stewart, who built the nearby Earl's Palace. Patrick Stewart was the son of Robert Stewart, half-brother of Mary, Queen of Scots, who had granted Orkney and Shetland to Robert. In 1615 both Robert and Patrick were executed for rebellion. At the far end to the left is the Moosie Tooer dating to 1550, and the tower of St Magnus Cathedral can be seen in the distance. This photograph must have been taken before the Bishop's Palace came under state care in 1921, as there is another floor below this level, which is now visible. The Bishop's Palace is the oldest surviving example of domestic architecture in Kirkwall. It was begun in the 12th century, but was in ruins by 1320. It was reconstructed between 1541 and 1558. Alterations were made in 1600, but after 1614 it is likely the building was left to become a ruin. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Box 59/5


Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions