Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of elevation to street Digital image of O 650

SC 793804

Description General view of elevation to street Digital image of O 650

Date c. 1960

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 793804

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of O 650

Scope and Content Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands This is the east wall of the palace. To the far right is the 'Moosie Tooer', added by Bishop Robert Reid in 1550. Much of the east wall has been rebuilt, including the round-arched opening in the centre of the image. At the far left is the south end of the palace which was added around 1600 by Earl Patrick Stewart. At the south end, above two round arches, the projecting base of an oriel window can be seen, supported on corbels. Today the Bishop's Palace consists of the remains of a large hall and the 'Moosie Tooer', but when it was built there was also a chapel and two large square towers, one of which was known as the 'Mense Tower'. The Bishop's Palace is the oldest surviving example of domestic architecture in Kirkwall. It was begun in the 12th century, but was in ruins by 1320. It was reconstructed between 1541 and 1558. Alterations were made in 1600, but after 1614 it is likely the building was left to become a ruin. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Box 59/3

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/793804

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions