Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of tower Digital image of O 648

SC 793802

Description General view of tower Digital image of O 648

Date c. 1960

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 793802

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of O 648

Scope and Content Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands This is a view of the tower of the Bishop's Palace from within the graveyard of St Magnus Cathedral. The tower, known as the 'Moosie Tooer', was built in 1550 by Bishop Robert Reid who carried out a lot of reconstruction. On the wall of the tower to the right is a panel which once bore the arms of Bishop Reid. There is a niche to the left of the panel, within which there is a sculpture of a man which probably dates to the 13th century. There is a bishop's mitre lying on the desk beside him. It is thought it might be a representation of Earl Rognvald Kolson, founder of St Magnus Cathedral. The Bishop's Palace is the oldest surviving example of domestic architecture in Kirkwall. It was begun in the 12th century, but was in ruins by 1320. It was reconstructed between 1541 and 1558. Alterations were made in 1600, but after 1614 it is likely the building was left to become a ruin. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Box 59/1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/793802

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions