General view looking W showing warehouse with entrance to dock on left and engineering works on right
SC 733455
Description General view looking W showing warehouse with entrance to dock on left and engineering works on right
Date 9/7/1970
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 733455
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Engineering Works (Ship Repair Yard), East Old Dock, Leith Docks, Edinburgh Leith's first harbour was the mouth of the Water of Leith, improved by the construction of piers to protect the entrance, and by the quaying of the sides of the river-mouth. This ship-repair yard is beside the entrance to the first enclosed dock, the East Old Dock, built in 1800-06, on the west side of the Water of Leith. This shows the yard from the east, looking across the inner harbour. The entrance lock of the East Old Dock is on the left. To the right of the building with the rounded roof is a small dry dock, probably built at the same time as the dock. This yard was owned by Menzies & Co Ltd, shipbuilders, engineers and repairers. The East and West Old Docks were filled in during the late 1960s, and the buildings of the ship-repair yard were demolished in the early 1970s. The dry dock was filled in, and flats have since been built on the site. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H35/70/27/18
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/733455
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]