Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Photographic copy of engraving of Rodel Harbour. Digital image of C 33455 CN

SC 684186

Description Photographic copy of engraving of Rodel Harbour. Digital image of C 33455 CN

Date 1819

Catalogue Number SC 684186

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 33455 CN

Scope and Content Photographic copy of engraving showing Rodel Harbour, Harris, Western Isles This engraving of Rodel dates to 1819. To the left is three-storeyed Rodel House, built for Captain Alexander Macleod, who bought Harris in 1779. He planned to develop Harris into a profitable fishing centre. In Rodel he provided piers in 1785, creating a sheltered harbour. He also built a boat-house to hold nine boats, a store-house for meal and casks, and a net factory. To the right, on the hill, is St Clement's Church, which dates to the early 16th century. It was also restored by Captain Alexander MacLeod in the 1780s. Lewis and Harris are both parts of the same island, collectively known as 'the Long Island', which is the most northerly in the Outer Hebrides. Together they are about 95km in length and around 32km at the widest point. Most of Lewis is quite low-lying, whereas Harris is mountainous. Rodel, or Roghadel, comes from the Old Norse and means 'Red Dale'. The local soil is unlike that in the rest of Harris, being red in colour and very fertile. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/684186

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions