Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of main entrance front.

BL 20571

Description View of main entrance front.

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number BL 20571

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies B 64666, SC 683492

Scope and Content Main Entrance, Natural Philosophy Building, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow The Natural Philosophy Building, designed in 1907 by James Miller, lies within the university's main campus on the south side of University Avenue. This photograph of the entrance façade was taken in 1909 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The building has two pilastered blocks, linked by a gabled Jacobean centrepiece with a set-back decorative cupola. The elaborate strapwork decoration over the door and first-floor window is reminiscent of Board school architecture. Natural Philosophy was one of the 'New Buildings' to be built by Glasgow University at the turn of the 20th century as the Gilmorehill campus began to expand rapidly westwards. It was formally opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in April 1907. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Glass negative

External Reference Box 53

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/683480

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions