Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from south east of North British Mercantile Ins. Co. Ltd and also showing Nos 63 and 70 - 75 Princes Street.

SC 466089

Description View from south east of North British Mercantile Ins. Co. Ltd and also showing Nos 63 and 70 - 75 Princes Street.

Date 1965

Catalogue Number SC 466089

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 1223

Scope and Content North British and Mercantile Insurance Company, Nos 64-9 Princes Street, Edinburgh Princes Street was originally the south-facing terrace of James Craig's New Town. From the 1830s, Victorian reconstruction transformed the street into Edinburgh's principal thoroughfare of hotels, department stores, shops, offices and clubs. The monumental Italian Baroque North British and Mercantile Insurance Company building, one of the best early examples of the Victorian reconstruction phase, was designed in 1841 by David Bryce in imitation of a 16th-century Venetian palace. The Princes Street Panel, set up in 1954, proposed the redevelopment of Princes Street from end to end. The North British and Mercantile Insurance Company building was demolished in 1965 to make way for British Home Stores, designed to the Panel formula. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466089

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions