Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elgin Cathedral, oblique aerial view, taken from the SSW, centred on the Cathedral and the Bishop's House.

C 52977 CN

Description Elgin Cathedral, oblique aerial view, taken from the SSW, centred on the Cathedral and the Bishop's House.

Date 10/8/1995

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number C 52977 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798677

Scope and Content Aerial view of Cathedral, North College Street, Elgin, Moray This aerial view from the south-south-west, taken in 1995, shows the cathedral with the south-west tower undergoing consolidation (left). The part with the octagonal white roof is the chapter house. The other white roof covers the remaining vaulted section of the south (St Mary's) aisle of the choir. The remains of the cathedral, though much reduced, show what an elaborate and sophisticated building it was, reflecting the prosperity of the province of Moray, then, as now, one of the richest agricultural areas in Scotland. Elgin Cathedral seems to have been built on an ancient Christian site. It was founded in 1224, and completed during the 13th century. It was burned in 1390 by the Wolf of Badenoch, and had to be extensively repaired. The chapter house, rebuilt in the 15th century, is considered to be the finest in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/445157

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions