Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Redford House, lodge Detail of masonry originally part of Old Infirmary

ED 4623/24

Description Redford House, lodge Detail of masonry originally part of Old Infirmary

Date 1955

Catalogue Number ED 4623/24

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 548540

Scope and Content Detail of the Drummond Scrolls, The Lodge, Redford House, Redford Road, Colinton, Edinburgh The Lodge, which lies just within the gates of Redford House, was built in 1884 by the then owner, Robert Andrew Macfie of Dreghorn, from parts of the frontispiece of Edinburgh's Old Royal Infirmary which had been demolished earlier that year. This scroll, at the west end of the south wall of the lodge, was formerly part of the attic storey of the Old Infirmary, designed by William Adam in 1738. It depicts the thistle of Scotland, whereas the scroll at the east end shows the rose of England. The Old Royal Infirmary lay empty for years after the new Royal Infirmary at Lauriston opened in 1879. Robert Andrew Macfie put in a successful bid for most of the old building's ornamental stonework, using it in a number of interesting schemes. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions