Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square. View of West elevation.

SC 398312

Description Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square. View of West elevation.

Catalogue Number SC 398312

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1098

Scope and Content 1930s photograph of west gable., Cathedral Church, Fortrose Cathedral, Fortrose, Highland Fortrose Cathedral was built in 1236 as a replacement for a smaller structure at Rosemarkie. After the Reformation, the south aisle survived as a burial-aisle and the chapter house as a council house and school. The west gable's window is off-centre. The corbelling above it may be the result of repairs in 1615 when it was the burial place of the Mackenzies of Seaforth. The tower (left) contains a staircase. Its belfry may be a 17th-century addition. Burials inside churches were banned in 1581. Wealthy families got around this by converting disused religious structures into mausolea, by adding burial-aisles to churches, and, in the 17th century, by creating separate burial-enclosures. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/398312

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions