Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square. View of West elevation.

RC 1098

Description Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square. View of West elevation.

Date c. 1930

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number RC 1098

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 398312

Scope and Content 1930s photograph of west gable., Cathedral Church, Fortrose Cathedral, Fortrose, Highland Fortrose Cathedral was built in 1236 as a replacement for a smaller structure at Rosemarkie. After the Reformation, the south aisle survived as a burial-aisle and the chapter house as a council house and school. The west gable's window is off-centre. The corbelling above it may be the result of repairs in 1615 when it was the burial place of the Mackenzies of Seaforth. The tower (left) contains a staircase. Its belfry may be a 17th-century addition. Burials inside churches were banned in 1581. Wealthy families got around this by converting disused religious structures into mausolea, by adding burial-aisles to churches, and, in the 17th century, by creating separate burial-enclosures. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/259460

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions