Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from East of St Andrews Castle.

SC 370925

Description View from East of St Andrews Castle.

Date 24/6/1887

Catalogue Number SC 370925

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 2510

Scope and Content Fore-tower and east wall of St Andrews Castle, Fife St Andrews Castle, the seat of the bishop of St Andrews, was destroyed during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt in its present form by Bishop Traill (1385-1401). It was besieged in 1546-7 after Protestants assassinated Cardinal Beaton. The east side of the castle including the hall, has fallen into the sea, as have the foundations of the 'east blockhouse', the massive circular south-east corner tower from which Beaton's body was displayed. In 1546, Cardinal Beaton burned Wishart, the protestant preacher, outside St Andrews Castle. He was then killed by protestant activists who seized the castle and, with their supporters including John Knox, held it until overcome by French forces in 1547. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/370925

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions