General view from East.
F 2510
Description General view from East.
Date c.
Collection W P
Catalogue Number F 2510
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 370925
Scope and Content Fore-tower and east wall of St Andrews Castle, Fife St Andrews Castle, the seat of the bishop of St Andrews, was destroyed during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt in its present form by Bishop Traill (1385-1401). It was besieged in 1546-7 after Protestants assassinated Cardinal Beaton. The east side of the castle including the hall, has fallen into the sea, as have the foundations of the 'east blockhouse', the massive circular south-east corner tower from which Beaton's body was displayed. In 1546, Cardinal Beaton burned Wishart, the protestant preacher, outside St Andrews Castle. He was then killed by protestant activists who seized the castle and, with their supporters including John Knox, held it until overcome by French forces in 1547. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Medium Glass negative
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/226145
Attribution: © Courtesy of HES
Licence Type: Educational
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]