Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perspective view and floor plans.

DC 10681

Description Perspective view and floor plans.

Date c. 1985

Catalogue Number DC 10681

Category Prints and Drawings

Copies A 57663, SC 362364, SC 362367, SC 362369, SC 362373, SC 362376

Scope and Content Plans and drawing of Southerness Lighthouse, Kirkcudbrightshire Southerness Lighthouse was built by Dumfries Town Council in 1748-9 to serve the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth. It was Scotland's third purpose-built lighthouse and is the second oldest to survive to the present day. The original 9.1m tower was heightened in the 1780s. It was equipped with an oil-light by 1811 when it passed to the Nith Navigation Commission who improved and heightened it in 1842-3. The top part of the lighthouse dates from 1894. The waters of the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth are difficult to navigate because of the treacherous sand-bars. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Ink

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/362355

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions