Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Dysart harbour from NE across outer basin, including slipway in foreground.

F 965

Description View of Dysart harbour from NE across outer basin, including slipway in foreground.

Date 11/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number F 965

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 1575440

Scope and Content Written on the back of the mounted print: ‘Shire: Fife. Place: Dysart. Building: Harbour’. Photographer: ‘J.P.’ Date: ‘Nov 1964’ Slipway, outer dock, Dysart Harbour, Dysart, Fife Dysart Harbour, in its present layout, was begun in the 1600s, funded by Lord Sinclair and the burgh. It first appears on a map in 1750. The inner dock, completed in 1829, was the first purpose-built coal-exporting dock in Scotland. This slipway belonged to the shipbuilders established in 1764 and closed around 1900. Dysart, a pre-existing settlement on the outskirts of Kirkcaldy, became a burgh of barony in 1510 and a royal burgh in 1533. Originally a salt-making centre, it grew into a thriving port for exporting coal and fish. It declined from the 18th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference MW/BR/DYS(T)/39

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/316849

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions