The Palace, Stirling Castle
DP 448138
Description The Palace, Stirling Castle
Date 1/1/1878 to 31/12/1878
Collection Records of the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network (SCRAN), Edinburgh, Scotland
Catalogue Number DP 448138
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Three cannon stand on the castle ramparts above a cobbled ramp leading to the entrance archway of a castle guarded by twin drum towers. Imposing buildings are visible beyond the inner wall of the castle. The main building of the castle, the palace of James V, has crow step gables with griffon or lion finials on the gable ends and decorative stonework on the walls between the windows. The cannon are on open iron frame gun carriages. A favourite residence of the Stuart kings, the current castle buildings were started in the 15th century and added to by each of the succeeding reigning monarchs. It was one of the four Scottish fortresses kept in repair after the Act of Union (1707).
Accession Number 2024/57
External Reference 000-000-152-226-C, 000-000-152-226-R
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2770899
File Format (JPG) JPEG bitmap
Attribution: © Licensed by St Andrews University Library (project 229) (Records of the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network (SCRAN), Edinburgh, Scotland)
Licence Type: SCRAN Licence Non-Commercial
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]