Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of St Clement's Church, Rodel, Harris

SC 1528227

Description Oblique aerial view of St Clement's Church, Rodel, Harris

Date 5/1966

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 1528227

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of IN 4454

Scope and Content St Clement's Church, Rodel, Harris St. Clement's Church is located on a rise above the village of Rodel. It is considered to be the most outstanding church building in the Hebrides and probably dates to the late 15th-early 16th century. This shows St Clement's Church and graveyard (centre) situated ion a rise above the small village and port of Rodel. Behind the church is the harbour. The large complex of buildings alongside the harbour is a hotel. There are also nissen huts located on the shore, relics of the World War II. The church is the traditional burial place of the standard bearers of the MacLeod Clan. Records show that restoration work took place in 1784, 1787 and 1873. The interior of the church contains a funerary monument to the probable founder, Alasdair Crotach (Alexander MacLeod), dated to 1528. It is also the burial place of several of the MacLeod chiefs. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 4136/4

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1528227

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions