Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Langholm Parish Church

Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Langholm Parish Church

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Langholm, Caroline Street, Church Of Scotland; War Memorial Plaques, Chambers Church Plaque, South Uf & Episcopal Church Rolls Of Honour;

Canmore ID 96820

Site Number NY38SE 88

NGR NY 36155 84453

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/96820

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Langholm
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY38SE 88.00 36155 84453

Location formerly entered as NY 36150 84466.

NY38SE 88.01 NY 36090 84425 War Memorial

Ch [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1983.

See also:

NY38SE 71 NY 36188 84512 Driveway Bridge

Not to be confused with:

NY38NE 2 NY 3521 8791 Staplegordon, Old Parish Church

NY38SE 2 NY 3552 8409 Wauchope, Old Parish Church

NY38SE 4 NY 3650 8462 Langholm, Old Parish Church

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: William Burn, 1843.

J.P. Alison, memorial tablets.

Inventory to Hawick Museum Drawings: typescript.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Plans for alternative seat ends.

Mid 19th century R.H.P. 9717/47

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Parish of Langholm, formerly Staplegorton, and Wauchope. The church of Staplegorton belonged to the Abbey of Kelso. In 1702 Staplegorton and Wauchope were united, and a portion of the adjoining parish of Morton was included in the union. At that time the parish church was removed from Staplegorton to Langholm. At Langholm is St David's Well (NY38SE 24).

H Scott et al., eds., 1915-61.

Langholm Parish Church, 1842-6, William Burn and David Bryce. Strongly modelled Early English, buttressed, with large belfry. Inside, galleries and pulpit are original, pews of 1915 by Peter MacGregor Chalmers, the leading Glasgow church architect of the day.

J R Hume 2000.

Activities

Construction (1843)

Architect William Burn. Measured drawings from 1843.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions