Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalmally, Dalmally Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalmally, Dalmally Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Military Road; River Orchy; Strath Of Orchy

Canmore ID 96800

Site Number NN12NE 19

NGR NN 16606 27652

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/96800

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Glenorchy And Inishail (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN12NE 19 16606 27652

Dalmally Bridge: This three-arched bridge carries the old road from Bonawe via Stronmilchan to Dalmally across the River Orchy at a point about 150m NNW of Glenorchy Church (NN12NE 8). The bridge was constructed by the contractor who had built bridge of Awe, using machinery and centering from the latter, and was completed in 1780.

The S bank of the river is somewhat higher than the N bank; the bridge therefore reaches its highest point above the S arch. Although the rubble masonry has been refaced in the upper parts, the triangular cut-waters remaoin intact and preserve their stepped tops. The overall length of the bridge and approaches is 55m and the distance spanned by the three segmantal arches is 43m. The spans of the individual arches, from N to S, measure 9.2m, 12.9m and 14.8m respectively, and the heights of the arches above water-level measure 4.6m, 5.6m and 6.7m respectively.

The width of the roadway is 4.1m between parapets 0.38m in thickness.

RCAHMS 1975, visited July 1970.

The military road (NN12NE 24, MR 11) traverses the River Orchy on this fine three-span bridge.

W Taylor 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions