Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edrom Parish Church

Burial Aisle (15th Century), Church (18th Century), Sarcophagus (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century), Effigy (16th Century)

Site Name Edrom Parish Church

Classification Burial Aisle (15th Century), Church (18th Century), Sarcophagus (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century), Effigy (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 96762

Site Number NT85NW 11.01

NGR NT 82760 55835

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/96762

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Edrom
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT85NW 11.01 8276 5583

(NT 8274 5583) Edrom church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was granted to Coldingham Priory in 1139. The old church was taken down in 1737, and all that survives is a fine Romanesque doorway, and a transept chapel. The doorway, which has probably been rebuilt in its present position, now forms the entrance to a detached burial vault immediately W of the church (NT85NW 11.00). The S transept of the church, the Blackadder Aisle, was built in 1499 but it has been much altered and modernised, the only features of interest remaining being the two buttresses at the exterior angles (RCAHMS 1915).

The present church, built in 1732 incorporating this aisle, was much altered in 1886.

A hog-backed tombstone of early 11th century date, now lost, was found in the burial ground about 1907.

(The old church, also the present church and graveyard are all 'A' listed buildings).

RCAHMS 1915, visited 1908; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; J S Richardson 1907; G Hay 1957; J T Lang 1975; Fasti Eccles Scot, H Scott et al ed. 1917; 1950; J Ferguson 1892; I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.

Edrom Church, in normal use. The Romanesque doorway faces E and is therefore unlikely to be in situ.

Visited by OS (JP) 12 December 1972.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions