Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Loan Street, Haywood

Miners Row(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Loan Street, Haywood

Classification Miners Row(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 95782

Site Number NS95NE 74

NGR NS 9743 5516

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/95782

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carnwath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS95NE 74 9743 5516

The 2nd edition of the OS 1:2500 map (Lanarkshire 1897, sheet xx.3) depicts two rows of cottages on the N side of the road running SW from Haywood Church (NS95NE 83) and Manse (NS95NE 56). Each row appears to have measured about 56m in length, and, judging from their OS depiction, they were similar to the terraces in Haywood village 400m to the S (NS95SE 31). The ENE row was divided into 24 compartments, while the WSW row had sixteen 'single' compartments and four doubles. They are still roofed on the 1913 edition of the map, which applies the name 'Loan Street'. The field in which they stood has now been improved, leaving no visible remains.

(CSW 2972)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 15 July 1994

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions