Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, St Andrew Square, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, St Andrew Square, General

Classification General View

Canmore ID 91667

Site Number NT27SE 4312

NGR NT 2560 7410

NGR Description Centred NT 2560 7410

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91667

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh survey

Bin 23, Bag 1 n/d

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1809 January-July 20.4.1809

Pet. Dr James Hamilton. Physician.

St Andrew Square, North side

Plan and elevation, not signed, minor alterations

Sources: Dean of Guild 5.8.1813

Pet. Ebenezer Gilchrist - manager for British Linen Co

St Andrew Square

House immediately to south of present banking house

Elevation and plan unsigned

To alter door to window

Sources: Dean of Guild 12.8.1813

Pet Frederick Sholtz, clothier and habit maker

West side St Andrew Square

"...two under flats of a tenement built by John Young, wright..."

Elevation enclosed, but showing tenement of four floors, unsigned

Minor alteration - window

Sources: Dean of Guild 16.4.1814

Pet. William Sommers

St Andrew Square - corner with Clyde Street

2 elevations - fronting St Andrew Square - with alterations to shop - shows

whole building

- fronting Clyde Street. All signed William Bryce.

Sources: Dean of Guild 2.6.1814

Pet. George Bell, surgeon

St Andrew Square - see other refs

Minor alterations - storm windows

Plan and elevation signed Thos Brown, Surveyor

Edinburgh, St. Andrew Square.

Gladstone Memorial.

REFERENCE:

Robert Robertson

Edinburgh. House, NE corner of St Andrew Square

Particulars from Robertson, architect, 1774

(Edinburgh Evening Courant, Feb 12, 1774)

[Described as "architect" in Edinburgh Street Directory for 1778-9]

Edinburgh House. St Andrew Square, on S corner with George St

"lately built and finished by Wm Kay builder"

(Edinburgh Evening Courant, Jan 25, 1779)

Edinburgh, St Andrew Square, Alexander & Bucephalus Monument.

Photograph Album no 195: photographs by G.W. Wilson & Co.

Acc no: 1997/61.

p 26 'Alexander & Beucephalus' 44 J.P. seen from South.

p 133 another print of the same.

[later moved to City Chambers]

Information does not seem to be in album - 18.1.2000.

Ed. Ev. Courant April 6th 1778

Inf. from John Gifford.

House, adjoining S corner of George Street, St. Andrew Square

"First (ground) floor, containing dining-room, 21 feet 8 inches by 18 feet, and 12 feet 3 inches high, pannell'd round above the surbase, and painted green with enriched mouldings, and entablatures painted white and picked with green, and an elegant marble chimney-piece and superb ornament above the same; a study or breakfast parlour, neatly fitted up, with marble chimney-piece, mock Indian paper, and enriched entablature; a waiting-closet, and butler's closet, and lobby. Second story, containing drawing-room, of same dimensions with the dining-room, hung with Indian paper above hte surbase, with a rich Sicilian marble chimney-piece and ornamental frame. The French taste, and highly-finished entablature; lady's room, and chamber, and bed-closet; and above are three bed-rooms, with dressing and other closets. all well papered, painted, and highly finished. And the garret-storey is neatly laid out with nursery, bed-rooms, and closets."

"The whole of the plastering was finished eleven months past"

(proprietor- William * Shakespeare Square)

Jan 5th 1782 Edinburgh Evening Courant

House advetised for sale

Excellent house NW corner of St Andrew Square belonging to the Earl of Buchan. 2 large flats whole genteely painted and papered.

NMRS REFERENCE

43 St Andrew Square, House for General Scott

Architect: Robert Adam 1774-1775 designs of house for Major General Scott

Gladstone Monument.

Moved in February 1956 to Coates Crescent from St Andrew Square

Architect: Pittendrigh MacGillivray

NMRS PRINT ROOM

Inglis Photograph Collection

2 general views and details including background views of the square (6 prints). Acc No 1994/90

Miscellaneous file: article

Colin McWilliam Collection

Rough Biro sketch Acc No 1991/53

Missing at time of upgrade, 1.2.2000.

NMRS REFERENCE

Corporation Buildings

Architect: James McLaren 1865 unexecuted

Stock Exchange

Architect: John McLachlan 1890

Exact location unknown at time of upgrade, 1.2.2000.

Edinburgh, St Andrew Square & George Street.

NMRS REFERENCE.

PLANS:

Dick Peddie and MacKay, Edinburgh, alts.

Attic 2, Bin 5, Bag 3.

Dick Peddie and Walker Todd, 1927.

Activities

Watching Brief (May 2007 - June 2007)

NT 2560 7410 An archaeological watching brief was undertaken during May and June 2007 on the excavations along the path of mainline drainage in the location of ten soakaways and three manholes at St Andrews Square Garden, Edinburgh. A series of deposits were uncovered, which were consistent with the known development of the area from open ground in the 17th century to decorative garden in the 18th century. The work recorded garden paths consistent with those depicted on the first detailed OS map of the area. No earlier archaeological features or previously unrecorded garden features were encountered.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS. Report deposited with City of Edinburgh SMR and RCAHMS.

Funder: Land Engineering Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions