Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Shorelands, Sttears Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Shorelands, Sttears Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Wic 141

Canmore ID 9146

Site Number ND35SE 17

NGR ND 3672 5447

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9146

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND35SE 17 3672 5447.

(ND 3672 5447) St Tear's Chapel (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1968)

St Tear's Chapel, Shorelands: The foundations of St Tear's Chapel are clearly visible. Within a bank which has probably marked the outer faces of the walls, the stones of which have been removed, the measurement is 40 by 23ft.

The chapel associated with a clan feud in the 15th century was visited by Bishop Forbes in 1762 and described by him as a 'singular little chapel built of stone and mortar, without lime, roofless with walls almost entire, windowless except in the south wall, and resorted to on the Feast of the Holy Innocents for prayer, offerings, and dancing.

Auld lists it as pre-Reformation.

The dedication is a source of speculation and is given as St Tear's, St Tayre, St Tay, St Ere, and St Aire, but may be a transerence in Roman Catholic times from a Celtic dedication to St Airerain or Ereran, whose feast day is one day later than that of the Holy Innocents.

RCAHMS 1911; J B Craven 1886; A Auld 1868.

The footings of this chapel are 11.0 by 7.0m. It is known locally as St Tear's (information from Mr Macpherson, farmer, Shorelands).

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D L) 21 April 1963.

The name appears to be a translation of the Gaelic 'Cill nan Deur': 'Church of Tears'.

W J Watson 1926.

St Tear's Chapel measures 14 by 9.4m externally and is overgrown and in very reduced condition. About 50 to the W is a scatter of large stones, some of which may be dressed and therefore formerly associated with the chapel.

C E Batey 1981.

The chapel remains are as described by the previous authorities.

Visited by OS (J B) 22 July 1982.

Activities

Project (1980 - 1982)

Field Visit (1981)

St Tear's Chapel measures 14 by 9.4m externally and is overgrown and in very reduced condition. About 50 to the W is a scatter of large stones, some of which may be dressed and therefore formerly associated with the chapel.

C E Batey 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions