Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Clydebank, Dalmuir, William Beardmore And Company, Shipyard

Aircraft Factory (First World War), Shipyard (20th Century)

Site Name Clydebank, Dalmuir, William Beardmore And Company, Shipyard

Classification Aircraft Factory (First World War), Shipyard (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Arnott, Young's Shipbreaking Yard; Royal Ordnance Factory

Canmore ID 90341

Site Number NS47SE 75

NGR NS 483 707

NGR Description Centred NS 483 707

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/90341

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Clydebank)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydebank
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (2 October 2013)

Fife (2007), in his survey of military flying in Scotland in the First World War lists the works of William Beardmore & Co (a shipyard) as also being a manufactury of land and sea-planes, and he published an photograph of the Dalmuir seaplane sheds. He reports that seaplanes were merely lowered in to the Clyde and flown off, while land planes were taken by road to the nearby Dalmuir aerodrome (see NS47SE 276).

The shipyard was split up and the E side became an Asbestos Cement Works. The dividing line resulted in the removal of W shed, which is pictured by Fife (2007) as gable end to the river, thus in effect splitting the aircraft factory into two seperate building, as depicted on the 4th edition OS 25-inch map.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 2 October 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NS47SE 75 centred 483 707

For (integral) hammerhead crane, see NS47SE 232.

(Location cited as NS 483 707). Shipyard, Dalmuir, built 1905 for William Berdsmore and Co. Some single-storey brick workshops and the fitting-out basin, now used for shipbreaking, are the principal remains of this once great yard.

J R Hume 1976

The works covered an area of some 90 acres when constructed, the river frontage measuring nearly a mile in length. The design and erection of the berth (with its jib travelling cranes) for battleship construction, the boiler and engine shops was carried out by Sir William Arrol and Co. Ltd.

William Arrol & Co 1909.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions