Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gunn's Castle, Bulnacraig

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Gunn's Castle, Bulnacraig

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Lat 224

Canmore ID 8944

Site Number ND33NW 3

NGR ND 3074 3857

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8944

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND33NW 3 3074 3857.

(ND 3074 3857) Gunn's Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1971)

The ruins of a small rectangular keep about 37 by 23ft with walls some 3ft thick, on a peninsular rock isolated by a wall built on a rock shelf. Immediately outside the buiding at the NE angle is a circular depression, some 9ft in diameter and 2 to 3ft deep, probably indicating a well. The castle was a stronghold of the Gunns.

T Sinclair 1890; RCAHMS 1911.

The turf-covered footings of a tower, 0.5m high, known locally as 'Gunn's Castle' (information from G Sutherland, Bridgend, East Clyth, Caithness) generally as described by the RCAHMS except that the outer wall to the SW has been destroyed by erosion, and the alleged wall is probably a natural sink-hole caused by drainage through a rock fault. Date not ascertained.

Visited by OS (N K B) 10 April 1967.

Activities

Project (1980 - 1982)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions