Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Forteviot Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Forteviot Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 88657

Site Number NO01NW 80

NGR NO 0462 1762

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88657

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Forteviot
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO01NW 80.00 0462 1762.

NO01NW 80.01 NO 0468 1762 Signal Box; Level Crossing

For adjacent Forteviot Hotel (NO 0465 1768), see NO01NW 107.

(Location cited as NO 046 176). Forteviot Station. Opened 1848 by the Scottish Central Rly. Formerly a 2-platform through station. The down platform is a 1-storey and attic block, on an L-plan, incorporating a dwelling-house, with an awning supported on wooden columns in the angle of the L. The platform edges have been removed.

J R Hume 1977.

The station house survives on the N side of the tracks, but the platforms have been removed. The house has been converted to domestic use and a probable extension added on the SW; the frontage is to the NE.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM, JRS), 7 November 1995.

This intermediate station on the Stirling-Perth portion of the Larbert-Perth-Kinnaber Junction (main) line of the former Caledonian Rly was opened (by the Scottish Central Rly) on 22 or 23 May 1848. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 11 June 1956 but the line itself remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 August 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; J Thomas and D Turnock 1989; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions