Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Station Road, Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Station Road, Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kelso Station

Canmore ID 88255

Site Number NT73SW 89

NGR NT 7309 3311

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88255

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Almost nothing remains of Kelso Railway Station other than a street named 'Station Road', which once ran from the centre of Maxwellheugh to the site of the station. When the station was closed to passengers in 1964, it had three platforms. Nearby there were sidings with a goods shed and an engine shed.

The most imposing of the station buildings at Kelso was built for the opening of the station in 1851 by the North British Railway. This was a two-storeyed Tudor-style building, L-shaped on plan, which contained the booking office on the ground floor and a flat for the stationmaster on the first floor. A single-storeyed wooden building filled the angle of the main building and contained the waiting rooms.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT73SW 89.00 7314 3315

NT73SW 89.01 NT 7323 3323 Railway Engine Shed

NT73SW 89.02 NT 7318 3319 Railway Goods Shed

This intermediate station on the St Boswells-Roxburgh-Coldstream line of the former North British Rly was opened by that company on 1 January 1851. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 15 June 1964.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 February 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Sbc Note

Opened 1851 by N. British Railways. Three platform with main offices on down platform. Main building two storey rubble. See card for details.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Sbc Note

Opened 1851 by N. British Railways. Three platform with main offices on down platform. Main building two storey rubble. See card for details.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions